Donat Mg -
Donat Mg, a well-known and recognised natural mineral water with magnesium, was given a fresh look in 2013. To meet the requirements of our age, the new packaging highlights the benefits for the human body and other favourable effects of this unique mineral water.
The geologist Dr Joseph Knett convinced the owners of the Rogaška mineral water springs to fundamentally change the way water from the springs was collected. Based on his research he predicted that highly mineralised water would flow forth from crevices in a construction pit in the middle of the spa park at Rogaška Slatina. And so it did. The water from the new spring was so different from those known to date that a special name had to be thought up for it and special preparations had to be made for its balneological use and bottling. It took its name from the nearby Donačka mountain which characterises the landscape of Rogaška Slatina – Donat.
In 1869, mineral water produced here was the third best-selling mineral water in the world, right behind Vichy and Selters mineral waters. It was known and drunk all over the world. Its shipper, the provincial health spa at Rogaška Slatina, was awarded a medal of quality at the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. The water was ensured through large-scale renovation works on the springs at Rogaška Slatina. Because of its high mineral content, the mineral water necessitated new studies, new balneological methods, new methods of use and new bottling technology processes.
At the start of the 19th century, the governor general of Styria, Count Ferdinand Attems, launched an extensive campaign of the Estates to purchase the lands surrounding the Rogaška springs. The Estates wanted to prevent any unsupervised and unprofessional use of the springs, and to construct a modern provincial water spa. The 1801 campaign launched the development of a health spa in Rogaška Slatina built around the local springs. Thus the springs became an important part of the history of European balneology and European society in general.
The battle for the right to distribute the Rogaška mineral water was won by the pharmacists’ society in 1721. They managed the springs and after three years succeeded in selling over 20,000 bottles of mineral water. When the Society was disbanded in 1782, the use of Rogaška mineral waters once again became uncertain.
In 1685, the first scientific work on the Rogaška water was published, entitled Roitschocrene and written by the Maribor doctor Johann Benedikt Gründel. At the end of the 17th century, a heated battle began over the right to exploit the Rogaška mineral water springs. The springs were contested by Baron Courty, the owner of an estate at Rogaška, the Sveti Križ parish priest who was the springs’ caretaker, and the local farmers. Emperor Leopold put an end to the dispute by issuing a decree on the general use of the Rogaška mineral water springs, but this only gave rise to a battle over the water distribution rights.
The turning point occurred around 1670 through the intervention of Dr Paul Sorbait, doctor to the Habsburg court and professor at the Medical School in Vienna. His treatment with water from Rogaška was received with great success and the demand for the water increased, making it a sales hit. Other physicians in the empire began to prescribe therapies with Rogaška mineral water and it was even tested as a clinical medicine at the hospital in Graz.
In 1572, the first known analysis of the Rogaška mineral water was conducted. Use of the springs gained ground with the development of medical science.
Celtic and Roman findings at and around the springs confirm that the Rogaška mineral water springs had been used in ancient times. Their documented history dates back to 1141, when a mineral water well was mentioned as a landmark in a land registry document.